Try Natural Painkillers When Sore From Snowboarding
Ever heard the saying: “I remember when I used to refer to my knees as left and right, instead of good and bad." Over a season or winter holiday, you will pick up some knocks and no doubt finish the day with an achy body. Snowboarding is a contact sport after all. You no longer need to reach for a bottle of pills or prescribed pharmaceuticals if you are in pain. Nature has a wealth of natural painkillers to take advantage of that can be simply added to your diet.
Watch and Ride Tip: Try floating in a sensory deprivation tank as it is an amazing way to relieve pain and mediate. The 1000 lbs of Epsom salts in the tank help you to weightless float and soothe your sore muscles.
Although pharmaceutical painkillers can be effective. There is a wealth of new knowledge that suggests these painkillers can be damaging to your health.
Some known adverse effects:
- Liver damage
- Stomach upset / ulcers
- Kidney problems
- Increased risk of heart attack and stroke
Plants and herbs can relieve a broad spectrum of pain-causing conditions. From headaches to burns or even joint pain and arthritis, nature has a remedy for them all. Start by changing your diet and cut out junk food that irritates the bodies internal systems. Many diets often consist of refined sugars, carbohydrates, and processed foods. You need generous amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. If unhealthy foods clog your body, it blocks the ability of nature’s natural painkillers.
Natures Natural Painkillers
Analgesic substances are those know to relieve pain. In nature, there are a number of plants, herbs and essential oils with these analgesic properties.
- Ginger, Turmeric, & Holy Basil have been in use for thousands of years by indigenous cultures. All of these herbs have strong anti-inflammatory properties. They have been known to be effective in relieving inflammation from arthritis and psoriasis.
- Devil’s Claw is amazing for healing a number of health issues, such as liver problems and heartburn. Its strong anti-inflammatory properties can relieve suffering from joint pain, arthritis, migraines, and low back discomfort. Studies on osteoarthritis by the University of Maryland show the success of Devils Claw with pain management.
- Birch Leaf has similar effects to the prescription drug cortisone. Birch can treat endocrine disorders such as arthritis, lupus, and skin disease. Methyl Salicylate is a prominent chemical ingredient in Birch leaves. This compound is similar to salicylic acid that is present in aspirin. It can suppress muscle spasms and has antifungal, astringent, diuretic and detoxifying properties. Helps to boost circulation and stop the ageing of the skin.
- Wintergreen Essential Oil contains large quantities of a similar compound in aspirin. 85-99% of methyl salicylate.
- White Willow Bark. Salicin is the active ingredient in the bark that the body turns into salicylic acid. This tree’s bark reduces the level of hormone-like compounds (prostaglandins) that can cause inflammation and pain. Aspirin has a history of internal bleeding and stomach problems. However, this potent bark will give you all the benefits and none of the issues. This miracle anti-inflammatory bark boosts blood flow and reduces swelling. Perfect for post-surgery care and also for relieving menstrual cramps and muscle/arthritis pain.
Take The Natural Option For Minor Aches & Pain
- Capsaicin is a natural painkiller found in chilli peppers. This allows for nerve receptors to become desensitised. C-fibers are the receptors that cause the pain response. It has been shown to reduce pain for up to 5 weeks while these nerve receptors regain sensitivity. Applying capsaicin cream to the nasal passage can reduce the intensity of migraines and cluster headaches.
- Gamma-Linolenic Acid. Essential fatty acids are in a number of seed oils and have been shown to decrease nerve pain related to diabetic conditions.
- Cherries rich ruby colour is caused by phytonutrients containing anthocyanins. They reduce inflammation and block pain enzymes like many pharmaceutical drugs do. Some proclaim that cherries have the highest anti-inflammatory ability in comparison to any other food.
- Aquamin is a potent pain reliever and anti-inflammatory that comes from red seaweed. Decreases arthritis pain by up to 20% and also improves joint mobility. Contains large quantities of calcium and magnesium to help bone strength.
- Arnica often comes as a potent herbal rub and is one of the best-known natural painkillers. Perfect for reducing swelling, muscle soreness, and joint pain.
Experiment And Find What Natural Painkillers Work With Your Body
- Peppermint is a natural remedy for toothaches and stomach discomfort. Also known to sooth joint/muscle pain, skin conditions and headaches.
- Boswellia contains a powerful resin used to block the chemical reactions that lead to inflammation and pain.
- Bromelain. Enzymes in pineapple stems produce this natural painkiller. Studies have shown Bromelain to decrease the levels of prostaglandins (hormones that cause inflammation). These enzymes can encourage the healing of connective tissues and muscles.
- Cranberries can kill pathogens (H.pylori) that attack the stomach lining and small intestines. These pathogens cause painful ulcers and inflammation. Useful to ease bacterial infections in the body.
If you can, try to replace pills with nature's choice, especially for minor aches and pains. Experiment with adding different remedies into your diet and pain management regime. See what natural painkillers work for your body and if you can get the desired pain relief the natural way.